I haven’t baked in such a long time as I’ve been extremely busy with work and preparations from University. So when a colleague of mine asked if I would bake something for our last shift together I went on the hunt for a quick and easy recipe, and that’s how I discovered this recipe. I found this recipe on Fabulous Hannah’s YouTube channel – click here, and she made it sound fool proof so I thought it would be perfect.
For the Cake – 100g Softened Butter (I used Stork), 175g Caster Sugar, 175g Self Raising Flour, 2 Large Eggs, 1 tsp Baking Powder, 4 tbsp Milk, Finely grated rind of 1 Lemon.
For the Drizzle – 100g Caster Sugar & Juice of 1 Lemon.
- Preheat your oven to 180°C. Choose a baking tin of your choice (I went for a loaf tin) and grease with butter, then line with greaseproof paper.
- Measure all of the cake ingredients as described above, and tip into a large mixing bowl. Mix the ingredients together until they are smooth and combined, you can do this by hand or using an electronic mixer (I did this as I find it saves time). Carefully fold the mixture into your cake tin.
- Bake the cake in the oven for 30-40 minutes. The cake should be golden brown, and if you place a knife/skewer through the centre of the cake it should be clean when removed
- Whilst the cake is in the oven, it’s time to make your Lemon Drizzle! Mix the juice of your lemon with 100g of caster sugar in a small bowl. Once your cake is out of the oven, pour the drizzle over the cake whilst the cake is still hot.
- Leave your cake to completely cool before removing from the tin, the top of your cake should be nice and crispy from the drizzle.
I enjoyed making this lemon cake as it was very easy, and didn’t take much time at all. The cake turned out very moist and flavourful – it went down really well with my work colleagues so I will definitely be baking this again in future. If I had more recipes that were this quick and simple I would definitely bake more often.
What are your favourite quick and easy baking recipes? I’d love to see your photos if you decide to try this recipe too.